Physics/voltaic cell

Question

Why does electrostatic charge accumulation in voltaic cell of copper and zinc impede electrochemical flow?  Is it because the excess negative charge accumulating in copper plate/solution repels electrons (because copper is pulling electrons from zinc plate)?  

Thanks

Answer
If the electrostatic charge that builds up is of the same sign as the ions in the fluid flowing toward the electrode, then of course the flow will be impeded.  This phenomenon is easily heard when a Van de Graaf generator spools up to full voltage, and is very similar.  The electrostatic force is tremendously powerful.  Even though the strong force (137 times stronger) is responsible for reconfiguring the nuclei in atoms that split, the force that propels the two main fission products apart once split and gives a nuclear weapon its power is electrostatic repulsion.  So the ions which are repelled will definitely drag on the portion of the fluid that is not charged, and impede fluid flow.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson