Physics/Work

Question
Sir,

I lift a box to my waist level,,say h meters..work done is mgh...then I start to walk.Text book says that no work is done on the box..but I am walking(effort / work) is put in. I move..so work is done..force*distance moved...right? So how come text book say no work is done ?In order for the box to move(horizontally) I must push on it with my body..isn't that a force..if then I move X meters..isn't work done= F*x?

I understand the scalar dot product rule..but intuitively it doesn't make sense to me. Please help. Thanks!!

Answer
If you accelerate the box horizontally, then work is done.  The textbook is assuming you moved horizontally at infinitesimal velocity.  By "infinitesimal," I mean that you applied almost no force to get it up to a bare minimum of speed, which then carried it in an absolutely smooth way to its destination.  In real life, we know this is impossible and you do work in the physical process of taking steps to move a box, but textbook examples are generally idealized.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson