Physics/Van de graff &Magnet

Question
QUESTION: Hi!
I was wondering if you know any experiments with bar magnets and Van de graff that I can try. What would happen if I placed a magnet on the dome and turned on the machine?

ANSWER: Magnetic fields exert forces on moving charges.  The faster the motion across the field lines, the stronger the force.  So if you put a magnet on the dome and turn it on, not much will happen.  I you discharge the generator in a spark, perhaps through a fluorescent light bulb, the magnetic field might do something, but you probably won't see it.  However, the discharge through a wire set by one of the poles of the magnet might have high enough current to cause short-duration forces on the wire.  I'd use a thin wire, maybe even a coil of wire, and see what turned up.  If you're curious to know the polarity of the generator, you can always attach a current meter to it before you turn it on and see, then take the meter off to allow the generator to operate.

QUESTION: What do mean by the following:  "However, the discharge through a wire set by one of the poles of the magnet might have high enough current to cause short-duration forces on the wire.  I'd use a thin wire, maybe even a coil of wire, and see what turned up." ? Is there a picture I can see to copy the design?

Thank you.

Answer
No, no design.  I was just thinking that if you got the north-to-south magnetic field to cross a thin wire and you got a hard spark to jump through it that it would exert a force on the wire.  (The spark making a big current in the wire.)  I'd just connect a thin wire between something round-ish and metal to ground, and let some of it hang loosely near a magnet...preferably offset from one of its poles (not parallel to the magnet).  See what happens.  If you need help interpreting, let me know.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson