Physics/Dryer Door - closes easily when swung

Question

Why does the dryer door close more easily when swung/slammed (as opposed to pushing on handle slowly)?  I understand that the hinge is a lever.

*  Swinging/slamming of door - hand no longer on door slams door easier
*  Slow pushing of door - hand continuously pushing on door is harder

*  Is swinging door accelerating or at constant velocity?
*  Is swinging door increasing in momentum?
*  Is there air pressure difference from swinging of door (wind?)?
*  I assume swinging door requires less force?
*  Is slowly pushing door with hand requiring more force to move weight of door AND weight of dryer (resistance)?
*  Is there torque (I don't understand this well)?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Answer
The swinging door, the way you describe it, is moving at constant angular velocity.  It is technically accelerating, since it is swinging and not moving in a straight line.  Its momentum is constant.  Of course there is air resistance.  Swinging might use more or less force, depending on how it is pushed to get it swinging.  The next to last question has no real answer, since there's no way to quantify the resistance of the dryer's door stop.  Torque is applied to get anything to rotate, so yes there is a torque to get it swinging.  After that, the hinges will provide very little torque.  Torque will also be present when it slams shut (stops swinging).

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson