Physics/Materializing energy.

How close are we to turning energy directly into matter like in a Star Trek replicators? Not necessarily in certain shapes or forms or even of multiple elements per creation but just matter in a powder or solidified form? Even something that takes a year for an ounce of something? I watched a 20/20 story on China controling the rare earth elements market and it would make me feel better if we could create elements directly. Also since there will be a water shortage in the future and we might need a miracle to deal with that. lol.

Matter in a controlled form (meaning the element/isotope you want and not mixed in with huge amounts of radioactive stuff)?  Not close at all.  No remotely.  And for water that's just ridiculous, since water is used as a coolant in any such machine and hydrogen would probably be used in its functioning.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.