Physics/Photons

Question
Hello Dr. Nelson

I am a writer, I'm sure you hear that a lot. I have an item in my world and I'm wondering if I'm just having fun in my world or if it could be something to it.

A starship engineer likes to look over weapons databases of new species when they meet them. She found an item in human history an decided to tweak it.

She built a Photon Shotgun.

Would a weapon that projects a shotgun like blast of photons be a considerable weapon, if the tech to produce it existed.

Basically, can photons be weaponized?

Fun dialogue (I hope)
Admiral: What is this?
Ensign: It's Lt. Kimshie's photon shotgun, sir.
Admiral:That'll leave a mark.
Ensign: That's about all it does leave, sir. Please don't use it by any exterior bulkheads.

Answer
The military has a laser that can shoot down a drone or take out a fast boat mounted on a ship.  This already exists.  They have another that can cut into the engine block of a truck.  Both systems are recently demonstrated, but successful and getting deployed right now.

You want a shotgun.  Sometimes disruptive technology exists that can do things low-tech and simple that people tried for so long to do high-tech and complex/expensive.  Can I say that someone won't manage to manufacture a burst laser powered by an explosive shell's charge, with a split/spread beam path to make it more shotgun-like?  I cannot.  It might just work.  So it's entirely within the realm of sci-fi plausibility.  As a writer myself (my other degree is in English), I approve.  As a scientist, I don't disapprove.  There are plenty of historical examples of massive currents being generated for rail guns using capacitors coupled to explosives, I would start there...

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson