Physics/Rare Earth Magnetic Repulsion Field Strength

Question
Steve,

I have a three part question regarding repulsive fields and strength (Gauss).

SCENARIO: If you have 2 opposing RE Neodymium(N50) magnets shaped 1" X 2" X 0.5" (W X H X D)moving towards each other at a constant rate of speed.  Each magnet has a plastic protective layer of 0.2" th. in the air gap and you are trying to reduce the impact("G"force) via repulsion/deflection.  
1. Is there a negative shielding effect of the repulsive field for the 0.4" cumulative plastic, and can that be quantified? And would the repulsive strength increase if you could remove a substantial cross sectional area of the plastic layer and expose say 75% of the magnets 1" X 2" surface area?
2. If we were to increase the magnet mass, which dimension would offer best repulsive results in this scenario; increase cross sectional area (WXH), or thickness(D)?
3. Lastly, Is there any benefit to clustering smaller magnets(like Hallbach Array) to get a higher net effect repulsion compared to one solid mass?

Thanks for your help and expertise.  I am a civil/structural engineer by schooling and field, but electromagnetic fields are much more complicated.....

Look forward to your response....

Dean

Answer
1)  The plastic will have very little effect on the magnetic field itself, almost zero.  The contact distance (0.4") may or may not be significant, depending on how fast you move them.  Direct exposure to air and/or modification of protective coatings is not recommended.
2)  The cross sectional area you mention is relatively large.  This will have the single biggest effect on the range of the magnetic field.
3)  A Hallbach array is designed to create a field parallel to the surface of the magnets.  While ganging more magnets together to make a single larger magnet will help, a Hallbach array is not a good configuration for your purposes if all you want it simple repulsion.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson