Physics/Sunset

Question
Dr. Nelson,

Why does a toy gyroscope not spin like a spinning top when spun from the top?  A spinning top spins when spun from the top.  Is the center of mass too heavy along the horizontal axis for the gyroscope?  

Also, is a heavy spinning top able to spin longer?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Answer
A spinning top is a type of gyroscope, so I'm really not sure what kind of specific gyroscope you mean.  A heavy top may or may not spin longer, it depends on whether or not its mass is more important than any increase in friction that the mass might have.  While a heavier top will have more angular momentum, the higher force on the surface that it sits on may give it more rotational friction to slow it down.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson