Physics/Impact force reduction

Hello, and thank you for being willing to answer questions.

In the Morrow Project roleplaying game, we are told of a fictional ballistic-grade fabric called Resistweave that can reduce the perceived impact force of a 9x19 mm. bullet by 50% at 300 meters. The front company for the Project had already attained an ability to produce the fabric in industrial quantities sometime in the period 1962-1980, and when it was used to make coveralls, one then had the ability to improve protection by wearing conventional body armor for an outer layer. It is also interesting that resistweave is stab-resistant, since at that time I do not think it was common to consider clothing with both features. The fabric is, however, described as rather heavy.

Would you be able to estimate how much of an impact force reduction resistweave provides? Thank you so much!

Well, the physics in this question brings up a few question.  Why 300 meters?  What does that have to do with the impact?  Why do I care about the years?  You said that it reduces impact forces by 50%, which is the only important physical parameter in the question...and it's also the answer to the question, since that's what you wanted me to estimate.  I'm confused as to what you need an expert for when you already have the there something about the air resistance you need thrown in that you're not telling me?  You can post a follow-up...

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.