Physics/light

Question
How does an intensive gravity field bend light ?
In the deep field photographs from Hubble we see billions of stars/galaxies. As the moon obscures the sun in an eclipse, wouldn't stars directly in line with each other obscure each other likewise?

Answer
It doesn't bend light, it bends space.  The light goes straight.  Gravitation is actually the bending of space itself.  But what you're talking about isn't bending light, it's eclipsing.  The stars are simply too small and the distances too vast for what's scientifically known as "occultation."  This happens with planets occulting stars all the time, in fact.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson