Physics/Physics humor

Question
Can you help me understand this joke?
Infinitely many physicists walk into a bar. The first says, Ill have a beer. The second says, Ill have two beers. The third says, Ill have three beers. The bartender grabs a beer that one of them walked in with, pours out a twelfth of it, and returns the bottle.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Charlie

Answer
It's a little weird, and involved.  But the full details are worked out properly here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_%2B_3_%2B_4_%2B_%E2%8B%AF  See the Ramanujan summation part.  The answer to the infinite series you're talking about is -1/12.  It takes a while to wrap your head around.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson