Physics/helium balloons

Question
Why do helium-filled balloons, like you'd find at a birthday party, lose their ability to stay up, after  a day and then wind up on the floor after the third or fourth day?

Answer
Hello charlesfield,

They loose their buoyancy because their helium slowly leaks out. Helium is a small atom and the balloon has small pores. When you find it on the floor, the skin of the balloon is probably noticeably limp compared to when it was freshly filled.

When the balloon is filled, it is under slight pressure and that increases each helium atom's probability of finding its way out. A balloon filled with plain air does not loose its contents as quickly because most of those molecules are significantly larger.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson