Physics/Physics

Question
Hi. Can you please explain what the vanishing dimension theory means? I tried looking it up, but the more I did so, the more confused I got. Thanks.

Answer
Well, I'm not sure what to tell you, since this theory is pretty fringe.  There's really not much work in the area, which is why you can't find much about it that won't confuse you.  It's more of a hypothesis than a theory (a random idea that someone one day said: "what if?" and then exrapolated).  The idea is that if a system has more energy, its dimensions shrink.  There's not really a good reason for it to be true or not true, but since they suggest the idea can be tested with gravitational waves (which have never been detected), then a couple of people are working out the details.  I don't see a good reason why the universe would just sprout something as fundamental as dimensions when it expands, so I'm pretty sure that this theory will remain fringe and not worth worrying about until someone turns up some kind of radical experimental result that actually suggests it might be true.  Until LISA is up and orbiting the Sun, it's not even possible to do that...and even then it's a gamble if LISA will detect gravitational waves at all.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson