Physics/weighted vest and incline

Question
Hi Dr. Stephen. This is a very practical physics question. This question is actually a fairly simple question but it's not easy to verbalize. I weigh 165 lbs and I use a weighted vest when I work out. Let's say I add 15% to my weight (i.e., wear a 25 lb weighted vest) and go running outside (no incline). Of course my body has to work harder when I add the 25 lbs. As far as how much harder my body is working with the extra weight, what would be the equivalent incline w/o the weight? In other words, would running on level ground with 25 extra pounds be the equivalent amount of work of running (of course at the same speed) up a 10% incline?

How do I calculate this? What if I go running w/ 30 extra pounds, what incline would that be the equivalent of without the weight (of course assuming I am running at the same speed with or w/o the weight)?

Thanks so much!
David

Answer
This is a question for a kinesiologist, of course.  There's not as simple an answer to this as you think, really, since the running strides are completely different.  I can give you the quickest estimate possible,  but it doesn't even flex the muscles in the same way.  I would tell you that the weight of the runner multiplied by the sine of the angle should basically equal the weight added, but in practical terms I know that won't work...you don't even tell me how fast you're running.  As far as fundamental forces go, however, you have to add enough vertical spring (weight*tan(angle) = added weight) to overcome the added components of the force of the weight...it's not really a very useful metric and has a lot wrong with it from the perspective of changing stride.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson