Physics/Lift or Escalator for Metrorail.

Question
Dear Prof Steve

Which will be a better Choice for Metrorail?. Is it Lift or Escalator?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hello Prashant,

If the station is one that unloads a large number of people during rush hour, I believe the average Escalator will get all the people to the surface in a shorter time than the average Lift. A station in the outskirts may seldom have a larger group of people going up or down than a Lift can accommodate at one time, so the Lift may be the better choice there. I don't know which is more expensive, but that should also be considered.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson