Physics/Barlow lens

Question
Dear Dr.Stephen,
I've a simple made home refractor telescope with the details below:
1- The large lens is of 10 cm dia. and 35 cm focal length.
2- The smal lens is of 1 cm dia. and 1 cm focal length.

I'd like to increase the amplification power of the telescope using a biconcave lens(as a barlow lens) which got it from taking apart a compound lens , the diameter of this biconcave lens is 3 cm.
Please advice me if this lens is suitable to be used as a barlow lens?, and also, advice me to the suitable distance for this lens to be mounted from the large lens(objective)?..
waiting for kind help.. Best regards

Answer
I don't know the focal length of the Barlow lens, but they're typically placed right before the objective.  1 cm is a very short focal length for the objective, so it shouldn't have any trouble overcoming the defocusing of the divergent Barlow lens.  Since the focal points of the main and objective lenses overlap, you will have to adjust the eyepiece's distance to account for the new focal point using the standard lens equation.  http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/lenscon.html

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson