Physics/Buoyancy

Question
Will a soda can that is filled with distilled water float or sink in distilled water?  

My guess is that the can will sink.  So why do diet soda cans float when they are filled with liquid?  Isn't the density of carbonated water greater than uncarbonated water?  Or is there a little bit of free CO2 gas in the can that keeps it afloat for diet soda?  (I'm aware that regular soda cans sink because of increased density from corn syrup.)

Answer
There's a whole page about this... http://www.aqua-calc.com/page/density-table/substance/carbonated-blank-beverage-  The density of carbonated water is indeed slightly higher than that of water.  If a can is totally filled with no gap, it would (of course) sink in regular water, even if it were diet soda.  Basically, physics says you're correct in general...but I've also seen diet sodas sink (might depend on the size of the amount of gaseous CO2 in the can).

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson