Physics/Potential Energy

Question
Sir,
I've got a few confusions while I was going through my book regarding potential energy. First I don't understand why it can change only to kinetic energy. Then we have a statement that gravitational potential energy is negative and minimum at the surface of the earth. Please help me out.

Answer
Potential energy can be changed into all sorts of energy, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.  There's such a thing as electric potential energy, after all.  Any force can have a potential energy associated with it, because that force can be turned into energy when whatever quantity that force acts on moves along the direction of the force.  The choice of a sign has to do with whether we're going with or against the force, but it's not minimum at the Earth's surface at all...you can drill into the Earth and still go lower in potential energy.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson