Physics/Tension in strings

Question
Tension
Tension  
Sir,
I have a certain doubt with a numerical asking to find out the tension in two strings. The question is as follows:
"A horizontal rod AB is suspended at its ends by two strings as given in the figure(image attached). The rod is 0.6m long and it's weight is 0.3kgf acting at G where AG is 40cm. Find the tension in the strings X and Y."

I don't want any calculations but a simple explanation about how to solve it would help.

Answer
As with all such problems, you pick a rotation point to make one of the torque terms zero, then write down a solvable torque equation.  From there, you can write down any number of statics equations to solve for the other one.  In statics, the choice of a rotation point is the beginning of approaching the problem almost all the time.  If you can't solve it after that (especially in this case, I'd choose point A), you're pretty much out of luck.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson