Physics/thermodynamic

Question
I searched on the internet about close and open system but I could not
understand it
plz! can you help me professor

Answer
Hello abedalrhman,

OK, you have looked at several online sources, so you know how they define closed and open. Perhaps a comparison of 2 systems performing similar functions, one open and one closed, will help. Consider the cooling system of a car's engine. It is an open system. Water is circulated around the hot cylinders, so the water gets hot. Then the hot water circulates into the radiator so the fins of the radiator are heated. The relatively cool air rushing through the fins takes heat away from the radiator therefore cooling the water. As the water continues to circulate, it returns to the engine to again take heat from the cylinders. Since the water is re-used, that might make it sound like a closed system, but the air is used just once - new air is continually taken in at the front.

The Space Shuttle also has a cooling system to discharge the heat generated in all the electronics. But there is no air available to pass the heat to, the heat is radiated into space without any matter being taken in from, or discharged to, the system's environment. So this is a closed system.

I hope this helps and I apologize for the delay,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson