Physics/Big bang theory

Is the big bang theory necessary? I read an article that suggested that the math in physics work better without it. Should I assume ignoring it doesn't actually take away anything from how the world works locally? Maybe time always was and didn't just start one moment?

Articles relating to fundamental changes in our picture of the formation of the universe get a lot of press, but are seldom more than speculation.  When followed to its logical conclusion, physics still works best in the context of the big bang theory, certainly right back to the end of the inflationary epoch.  Before that, things are a little more tricky, because the expansion of space itself is something we don't have a laboratory probe for right now.  However, it's still the reigning theory and I haven't seen a theory that works better yet.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.