Physics/Centripetal Acceleration

Question
Sir,

In constant circular motion,
Centripetal Acceleration(a)=r(radius)*alpha(angular acceleration)
Centripetal Acceleration is directed along r towards the centre. What is the direction of alpha? Tq

Answer
Not quite.  Your first equation relates to the acceleration of something at radius r, like the road under a car when its wheels are turning at angular acceleration alpha.  It relates the linear motion of the edge of a pulley/wheel/circular object to the angular acceleration around.  It is not centripetal, that is different, and equal to r*omega^2, where omega is the angular velocity of the wheel.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson