Physics/Normal Force

Question
Sir,

When I stand still on the floor, I exert , through gravity a force of Mg on the floor and the reaction is the floor exerting an equal and opposite force of Mg on me. Is this the Normal Force?

On an incline the Normal Force is perpendicular to the incline surface and the gravitational force is vertically downwards...if I vectorialy add the Normal Force and the Mg..what do I get? Can this be the resistive force that keeps the block from slipping?

Thanks!

Answer
Yes it is, and yes you have it correct.  The component of the normal force along the plane that keeps the block from slipping is the force that keeps it from slipping.  You have to break the normal force (an unknown in that problem, it is a response force which is as large as it needs to be to satisfy the physics of static non-acceleration) into components, as well.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson