Physics/Whistles

Question
Silbo Gomero is a language that is spoken in the Canary Islands that is composed entirely of whistles. The reason this language was made was to make sound travel over long distances. What is it about whistles and/or the physical geography of the islands that makes the whistles heard more clearly over long distances than regular words?

Answer
The human ear is acutely tuned to differentiate between pitches.  Words are complex that way, but single tunes are easy to distinguish.  Also, higher pitches are easier to hear, though lower pitches actually carry over more miles...but we're not talking many miles like an elephant's call.  That language is simple and tuned for the human ear to hear over noise, as I understand it, those islands (like where I live) are quite mountainous and windy.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson