Physics/128 bit microprocessor design.

Dear Prof Steve

Can we design a 128 bit microprocessor in theory and practically?.

Hello Prashant,

Yes we could. It would seriously increase complexity and therefore expense. We already have 64 bit microprocessors. See these sites.
It says that the iPhone 5S comes with a 64-bit chip. But it quotes one company saying "it has no plans for 128-bit ARM-based chips because they simply aren't needed."
This site questions whether there would be much benefit - at least now. The feeling is that there are few problems that would need to deal with that large a number in a single instruction.

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University