Physics/Glow

Question
Are there any chemicals that glow in the dark visibly, but are charged with infrared light?

Answer
Not really, or none that I can think of.  The problem with that is that you'd have to excite the molecules multiple times.  The energy of photons in the IR spectrum is lower than that of visible light, so it would take multiple photons to give you a single visible-wavelength photon.  The efficiency and percentage of excited atoms is very low, so such a process would be impossibly inefficient.  Barring some thermal conversion to a higher state (meaning some intermediary condition for excitation), this process is unlikely to be able to excite a chemical to be able to glow in the dark.  Novel metamaterials may change that someday, but nothing simple like that should exist (and to my knowledge does not).

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson