Physics/Reciprocating Motion in Electric motor.

Question
Dear Prof Steve

1 Is it possible to achieve
Reciprocating Motion in Electric motor
i. e. Moving forward and backward in straight line apart from the conventional rotary Motion of Electric motor?.

2 If yes, Can there be advantages in designing electrical products which have a reciprocating Motion for the Electric motor?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hello Prashant,

1. I don't understand what you mean by "Moving forward and backward in straight line". I will interpret this as if the motor drive is connected to wheels that the device sits on and the forward and backward refers to the motion of the device.
Yes. The brute force way would be to include a crankshaft like in an auto's engine. A more precise(and expensive) way would be to use a stepper motor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor
Notice that it increases the complexity of the drive signal significantly.

2. The advantage is in occasions (of which there are many common examples) in which reciprocating Motion is required.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson