Physics/How many times does the Earth spin in the course of one year?

Question
Hi, how are you? I am bored and curious. The Earth performs two types of spins- revolutions and rotations. The Earth rotates on its axis 24 times a day, and the Earth revolves around the sun 365 in a year, or 366 if it is a leap year. So wouldn't the Earth perform 365*24, or 8760 spins in one year, or 366*24, or 8784 spins in a leap year? Please help- thank you.

Answer
First of all, the Earth goes around the Sun every 365.25 days, so once every four years we make up the difference with a leap day.  This is the same every year, not different on leap years.  It's just a mechanism we use to make our calendar correct.

The Earth's revolution that we call a day is relative to the Sun.  Once every 24 hours.  The position of the Earth relative to the Sun is in its revolution.  So the Earth spins 365.25 times each time it goes around the Sun.  You don't multiply spinning by revolutions.  They're independent type of movements.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson