Physics/Airplane cargo design.

Dear Dr Stephen

Is it possible to design the cargo location of the plane on the top enclosed structure similar to the normal sideways cargo location of the airplane?.

It's possible to design anything.  However, that's not where the cargo location is.  Bulk cargo and checked luggage are stored underneath for stability, it's usually heavy.  It only enters and exits from the side. You could put those doors on the top, but there seems to be no reason for such a bad design decision.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.