Physics/bombs.

Question
hello...This is a two part question. The RDS-220 hydrogen bomb is the most powerful nuclear bomb ever created by man. The Geographic Center of the United States (contiguous 48) is located about two miles northwest of Lebanon, Kansas.  If we were to hook up five of those bombs and set them up to detonate all at the same time, would people on opposite coasts such as people in California or Oregon or in Connecticut or New jersey feel the explosion? Second part.  If If we were to hook up ten of those bombs and placed them half way between the earth and moon and detonated them what, if any, repercussions would their be? I know, weird questions but I was just wondering.  Thanks for your time.  Paul

Answer
It's actually unlikely that they'd observe it directly.  The fact is that the atmosphere is only a few miles thick and these locations are over a thousand miles from the center, so imagine it like living in a few of sheets of paper and seeing something from the center (with curvature) when you're standing at the edge.  And if you set ten of them of nearly 200,000 km from the Earth, there'd only be consequences to satellites, and maybe not much to them.  That's very, very far away.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson