Physics/Definition of basic physical quantities' units

Question
Good morning.
Well, my dear Sir the question is as follows:
" We know that 1m is defined as the distance traveled by light in 1/299792458 s. Why was such a difficult number chosen? What if they defined it as the distance traveled in 1/300000000 s?"
I am prepared to swear that this is no homework question!

Sincerely yours,
AB.

Answer
The speed of light was originally a measured quantity based on the meter and the second.  Then it became a defined constant in terms of the actual speed of light and the international standard for the second.  This is now the definition of the meter.  To keep it as close to consistent with the previous meter as possible, this definition was retained (the speed to within one meter/second).  This was done in 1983, I'm not sure exactly why they didn't just use 1/300000000 of a second, but it must have made some prior measurement incompatible with the new definition.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson