Physics/Surface tension / elements on Earth

Question
Hi Sir,

1) Discovery Channel..Gold on Earth was brought by asteroids and deposited on Earth. Earth does not "manufacture" Gold.Is this the same for the other elements as well..like copper, iron.lead..etc?

2)Soap and oil reduces the surface tension in water..how do they do it?

Thank You.

Answer
Well, the elements that formed the Earth were created in a supernova, just like the elements in asteroids.  Gold was formed in that supernova, it's a little strange to say that it was somehow brought to Earth by asteroids when it was also already here.  Earth is essentially a gigantic collection of asteroids, after all.  

Soap is a surfactant (polar end of the molecule towards the water, non-polar end towards the air).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfactant has some good information (look at the section on interactions on the surfaces).  However, the physics of soap bubbles is more pertinent to what you're looking for.  http://web.mit.edu/nnf/education/wettability/bubbles.html

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson