Physics/Air resistance to electricity?

Question
How many volts are required to pass through let's say a hundred meters of air?

Answer
Well, air will conduct some small amount of electricity at any voltage.  Air is not some perfect resistor.  However, if you're referring to the dielectric breakdown strength of air, it depends greatly on factors like how dry the air is.  In dry air, it's quite high.  The generally accepted factor is about 3,000,000 volts per meter.  That would mean that 100 m of air would require 300 million volts to make a spark.  In practice, damp air (like in a thunderstorm) breaks down quite a bit more easily under high voltage and the voltage associated with things like lightning bolts are far lower.  A towering thundercloud is, however, capable of producing voltages in the 100 million volt range.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson