Physics/Black Body

Question
Sir,

A True Black Body is a perfect absorber..can I assume of every frequency..even Microwave through to Gamma Rays? If it is a perfect absorber..why is it also a perfect emitter..can something be an absorber and emitter at the same time ? Kinda counter intuitive?

Thank You.

Answer
First, there is no such thing as a "true" black body.  Yes, the hypothetical object would absorb absolutely every wavelength.  However, every body has some reflectance to light.  And it's not really counterintuitive, as objects heat up they glow.  If you heat something up that is colored black, it will also glow when it gets hot enough.  Black just refers to the absorbance.  Don't get too hung up on the word and your intuition.  Even at room temperature objects emit light, your eyes just can't perceive the weak glow (mostly in the infrared wavelengths).  A blackbody maintains thermal equilibrium by absorbing and emitting radiative energy at the same rate.  

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson