Physics/Death and Entrophy

Question
Sir,

I was at a physics lecturer and the Visiting Prof said that death is an increase in Entropy..but death is an end to action. When alive we eat , exercise and emit heat..therefore life should give rise to an increase in Entropy, not the other way round?

Tq

Answer
In general, when you look at a whole system, any process increases entropy.  Yes, if you look at living things, they also increase entropy by processing food into energy.  If you look at an organism dying, as it decays the entropy of the system will also increase.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson