Physics/Gallium Arsenide.

Dear Prof Steve

Can Gallium Arsenide replace Silicon, Germanium and Carbon as semiconductors in the future?.

Hello Prashant,

Perhaps. Gallium Arsenide does have features that are advantageous in electronics. It also has features that are disadvantageous. Taking advantage of the positive features requires managing the negative features. Gallium Arsenide has already been used in applications that need one or more of the positive features of Gallium Arsenide, such as operation at higher speed.

See these sites:
In the future, better techniques of managing its negative features will likely be found.

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University