Physics/Physics

Question
QUESTION: A layer of water vapour at 100 deg Celsius can emit more than 50% of that which a blackbody at the same temperature emits (Reference: Fundamentals of Thermal-Fluid Sciences by Cengel and Turner). What is the emissivity of water vapour at temperatures of, say, 500 deg C and 1000 deg C? I am asking you because I have tried science sites, I have searched the Internet and textbooks and I still do not have an answer. Could someone give me an idea about a metre thick layer of water vapour when it comes to emissivity. Even a general sort of answer, such as emissivity increases or decreases with increasing temperature of water vapour

ANSWER: Ummm...that doesn't make any sense.  An idea black body has a perfect emissivity of 1.  Objects don't emit more than that unless they're specifically stimulated in special ways (like the gas in a fluorescent light bulb) to do so.  The emissivity of water is very high, close to 1, but it's not 1.  I don't have access to your reference, but is it possible that you misinterpreted it?

*update: This reference may help you: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/245156320_Spectral_and_total_emissivity_of_water_vapor_and_carbon_dioxide

QUESTION: The gas molecules in the atmosphere (water vapour and so on) absorb and emit radiation. Although hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen emit only small amounts at moderate temperatures, the carbon dioxide and water molecules absorb and emit substantial amounts, affecting climate. About what percentage of radiation is emitted by gases apart from carbon dioxide and water molecules?

Answer
I didn't want to just brush this off, but this is really pretty far outside my area of expertise.  I'm going to direct you here: http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/climatescience/atmosphericwarming.html  Also see here: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/03/10/visualizing-the-greenhouse-effect-emission-spectra/ You don't need a nuclear physicist for this, you need a climatologist.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson