Physics/Screw falling vertically

Question
QUESTION: F = m*a
a = 9.8 m/(sec^2), correct?
Why a screw falling vertically from a distance of 100 meters causes more damage than a screw falling vertically from a distance of 1 meter?
I am told that it is because of the formula F=m*a, but if I use a=9.8 m/(sec^2) then where is the distance?
Please explain. This is not homework.
Thank you.

ANSWER: Please, this is pretty obviously homework or a bar argument.  And you told me the distances, 100m and 1m.  If you just need to know if it causes more damage from falling from higher up then of course it does...it takes quite a few meters to reach terminal velocity.  If you need to know why there's no distance in the formula, then you need to either integrate the formula you were told to use over time or use the correct formula for velocity under constant acceleration.  v^2=vo^2+2ah, in this case.  Proper manipulation of F=ma will get you that formula, but why re-invent the wheel?

QUESTION: Dear Dr. Stephen O. Nelson,
Thanks a lot for your previous response.
Now I know that the formula to use in this case is v^2=vo^2+2ah, which has “distance” (h) in it.
Questions:
(1) a=9.8 m/(s^2), where “a” is Gravity acceleration, correct?
(2) How exactly can I see in the formula that the damage is bigger when “h” is higher? All I can see in the formula is that “v” is bigger when “h” is higher, but I cannot see there why the screw would cause more damage when falling from a higher distance. IE: Why the bigger “v” causes more damage?
Please explain; this is something I “want” to understand after have being told the story of the screw falling from certain height.
Thank you,
Leonardo

Answer
If it has a higher velocity on impact, then it has more momentum and energy to impart to whatever it hits.  That's why it causes more damage.  The thing is, small things like screws or coins don't actually get up to a very high velocity when you account for drag forces from atmospheric resistance.  Therefore they never really cause severe amounts of damage.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson