QUESTION: Hello sir

Sir all the substances which we have termed as matter,have their own names , like substances, air , water and on basis of resoruces they are classified into 3 catogoris on basis of renewability,origin, Occurance, Development. Plants are also classified into shrubs, bushes, trees ect. Anything around us which is termed as matter has their own name on based on their chemical or phisical nature, then why all are termed as matter.What was the need to term every thing around us as matter.

Sir this question you might not understand at first time but please read it twice or thrice , if not understood.

ANSWER: Matter is a physics term to describe anything with mass.  If I have a plant that has a mass of 3 kg and I apply a force to it, it will accelerate the same as if I have a 3 kg bowling ball.  They're both matter, things made of particles with mass.  They obey the same equation of physics F=ma (force=mass*acceleration).  The term is universal and applicable to physics, since in physics terms we do not care if one is talking about a 3000 kg elephant standing on a scale or a 3000 kg pile of rocks.  They both have weights (the force applied to the scale) equal to the amount of matter (that amount is called the mass) multiplied by the acceleration of gravity.  Is there something inherently wrong with having a general term like matter?

QUESTION: Hello sir

Sir i also don't know sir.When i heard the name of matter,in my mind one question arrived, why which has mass and which occupies space is called matter.I ignored this question and i studied next concepts, but i dont know aLL THE CONCEPT CONFUSED AND NOW I AM NOT ABLE TO UNDERSTAND NOW CONCEPT THATS WHY I am asking again and again about concept

Well, would you prefer that we give it another name?  Anything which has mass and occupies space...yes, that's matter.  So you do understand the concept, you just seem to think it's more complicated than the simple definition that you just gave.  It's not, you already understand it.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.