Hello sir

Sir why everything around us is called matter.

Hello Apsara,

Go to this site for the etymology of matter.

Well, we could just use the word "everything". But some might say that everything includes thought, ideas, morals, etc. Instead of matter, we could say "animal, vegetable, and/or mineral - or parts thereof". But some might ask "which of those includes hydrogen and other gasses?"

Perhaps other languages have a word you would like better for what we mean by matter. English has adopted many words from other languages.
I suggest that you might want to research the possibility of borrowing a word from another language that might suit the meaning of matter better than matter.

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University