Physics/Higgs Boson

Question
Sir,

The Higgs Boson discovered in the LHC decays almost instantly. if it decays so very very fast, how does it exist in the universe? And if decays so fast, how does it give rise to the Higgs Field?

Thank You.

Answer
The Higgs Boson is a disturbance in the Higgs field.  In the model, the Higgs field extends throughout all space.  When particles have mass, they interact with this field.  The Higgs boson is a way to quantify that interaction in the model.  I'm going to refer you to this excellent youtube video making the explanation simple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joTKd5j3mzk  The thing about it is, since the interaction with the Higgs field has an energy, it's associated with a carrier particle that has an equivalent mass (enter the old equation E=mc^2).  The Higgs field is everywhere, so the rapid decay of the Higgs boson isn't an issue.  And it doesn't give rise to the Higgs field, that field is just part of the universe.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson