Physics/Lens

Question
What if a ray of light is made to pass through a lens made up of several materials packed in layers? By several materials I mean a lens made up of materials having different refractive indices.

Answer
This is quite common in modern camera lenses to reduce what is known as "chromatic abberation."  That basically means the misfocusing of different colors of light.  At each interface between the layers, the light will refract according to Snell's law.  http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/refr.html#c3

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson