Physics/Paper Film

Question
QUESTION: Are there any paper thin films that are largely transparent but do appear opaque to very narrow or just one wavelength of light?

ANSWER: Yes.  A good interference filter is best, but they don't make those in large sizes.  There are plenty of films with quite a narrow range of transmission, like the stuff they made the old 3D movie glasses from.

QUESTION: I ask because I have a good movie projector and was thinking if I had a bunch of clear films that only become opaque to certain wavelengths I could create a 3D shape within a block of films that go through the spectrum. Does that seem possible?

Answer
You're dealing with too many layers to be practical at all, and transmission of something like that would only be transmitting a percentage of the light, like 90%.  After 10-ish layers there wouldn't be enough left.  It's an interesting concept, but in practice it just wouldn't work.  And you'd have to project in as many colors as you blocked, one projection over the other...not doable.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson