Physics/Salt vs Baking Soda

Question
Dear Dr. Nelson,

Hope all is well. I wanted to know whether baking soda or rock salt (specifically Himalayan Pink Salt) rank higher on Moh's scale of Mineral Hardness.  Baking soda seems to have a hardness of 2.5, while rock salt has a hardness of 2.0. Can you please confirm that this is true. The reason for this question has to do with which would be less abrasive for teeth brushing. I read that tooth enamel has a hardness of 5 and dentin has a hardness of 2.5. Not sure if these numbers are correct because I pulled them from google.

Thank you very much for your time,
Alex

Answer
It's 2-2.5 depending on the type of rock salt. You're thinking of the powdered forms, perhaps, and not the solid crystals?  In the case you're asking for, it doesn't really matter.  Water solubility and chemical compatibility with the enamel are the keys.  You should probably ask a chemist, a biochemist, or a dentist... this isn't really a physics question now.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson