Physics/Cable Cars Wipers.

Question
Dear Prof Steve

Is it technically feasible to design and construct Cable Cars Wipers?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hello Prashant,

Yes, of course it is feasible. Are you suggesting that you have seen that most do not have them? For cars that spend most of their time out in the weather?

Edit: I sent an email inquiry to San Francisco Municipal Transit Authority's Customer Services asking if their cable cars have wipers. The answer came today: they do NOT have wipers. That surprised me.

If they do not have wipers, then yes - design and installation of wipers would be feasible. They would likely be powered by a battery. The battery could be recharged from a generator driven off a wheel or recharge could be done while the car is in the garage.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson