Physics/Cable Cars Wipers.

Dear Prof Steve

Is it technically feasible to design and construct Cable Cars Wipers?.

Hello Prashant,

Yes, of course it is feasible. Are you suggesting that you have seen that most do not have them? For cars that spend most of their time out in the weather?

Edit: I sent an email inquiry to San Francisco Municipal Transit Authority's Customer Services asking if their cable cars have wipers. The answer came today: they do NOT have wipers. That surprised me.

If they do not have wipers, then yes - design and installation of wipers would be feasible. They would likely be powered by a battery. The battery could be recharged from a generator driven off a wheel or recharge could be done while the car is in the garage.

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University