Physics/Density

Question
I can't pin down the meaning of "density." Scientifically, density is a mass per unit volume of a substance. In plain English, density is heaviness or a thickness of a substance, relative to its size. Does mean that density is the measure of the viscosity of fluid and weight of solid? Could you please explain DENSITY in layman's term?

Answer
Density is not the same as viscosity.  Density is the amount of mass per unit volume.  That's it, nothing more.  If I have 1.2 kg in a cubic meter (air), that is its density.  If I have 1000 kg in a cubic meter (water), that is the density of that substance.  Its state of matter (solid, liquid, gas) doesn't matter, just the amount of mass in a specific volume.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson