Physics/Insight into Convection heat transfer

Of course, convection is the transfer of thermal energy by the motion of fluid. Why does heated fluid is affected by gravity? Again, why do fluids with different temperatures and densities displace each other?

All fluids, heated or unheated, are affected by gravity all the time.  The expansion of the fluid when heated causes it to take up a larger volume (lower density) and therefore the more dense cold fluid will sink beneath it.  This is the nature of the buoyant force.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.