Physics/Particle Physics

Question
Not sure if this question is up your ally, but here it goes...

Special relativity allows for the existence of Tachyons, the nature of which would be a particle that is always traveling faster than light, speeds up as it looses energy, and cannot react with normal matter.
Is there any possibility this could be the elusive dark energy, the unseen force that is speeding up the expansion of the universe?  I have to say, I've done a good deal of reading on both tachyons and dark energy and it seems the properties of both are very similar in their descriptions.

Answer
There's really nothing about tachyons that would allow them to cause an expansion of the universe. No evidence for tachyons actually exists, and there's no mechanism by which they could cause such expansion of space itself. If you have one to propose, I'm all ears.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson