Physics/Walk-ins

Question
I work in a pizza place and at times of the year it is too hot to leave the dough racks out at room temperature. I couldn't find any walk-in cooler specs for the type of cooler we use, but I sometimes wonder how much it might cost to maybe add 25% more space in the cooler as that when preparing dough it remains cool so it doesn't get too proofed too soon. Would that be energy efficient to have 2 warm bodies staying in the cooler for an hour or more versus the door opening and closing often?

Answer
The depends on how many times the door opens and closes, and how much air.  However, you are correct that that is potentially a massive waste of energy.  I think there are too many specifics here for me to reliably answer the question, since I don't know anything about the nature of the convection of air involved in that particular door.  You'd really have to test it and see.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson