Physics/Calculating orbit eccentricity

Question
This is the formula to calculate orbit eccentricity
e = SQRT[1+2E(h^2)/M^2]
where
E(total energy) = v^2/2 - M/r
h = r*v(t)is angular momentum
v(t)= tangential component of the velocity
v = velocity vector
r = radial distance from center of mass
If i want calculate the eccentricity of Earth in its rotation around the Sun i have to use this formula.
I already know this value e = 0.017
whereby
e = SQRT[1+2E(h^2)/M^2] = 0.017
My problem is that i'm not able to do these calculations...
May be you can help me showing for extended calculations.
Marianna

Answer
I don't answer homework questions, but here you don't even have the right equations.  Your units in your formula for total energy don't make any sense at all and aren't even compatible. Your angular momentum formula doesn't have a mass in it.  There's a wikipedia article that can lead you to correct equations for orbital eccentricity, I suggest you start there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_eccentricity

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson